Walnut, Date, Chocolate Oat Cookies (gluten free, vegan)
When it comes to baking healthy gluten free things, for me, unfortunately it's usually an epic fail.
They either fall apart, have zero flavour or I have to search every aisle of the organic store for different ingredients.
So this year, I made it my mission to find a cookie recipe that is healthy, vegan, and most importantly tastes great. And I think I've come up with a winner!
These cookies didn't last long in my house...and so far they have been tested on my fiance, personal trainer and cleaning lady. All who have given them a big thumbs up and gone back for seconds...and thirds.
If you decide to whip these bad boys up, I'd love to hear your thoughts. And if you have any requests for healthy versions of your favourite recipes send them my way!
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 3.5 tbspn coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbspn dairy free milk (I used soy)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark choc chips (i used dairy free Enjoy Life)
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Lay the walnuts on a tray over baking paper and toast for 10 minutes (slightly golden).
2. Add nuts to a food processor with the 1 cup of oats. Blend for 15 seconds to form a soft flour.
3. Add the walnut/oat mix to a bowl with flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
4. In a smaller bowl whisk together the malt/maple syrup, coconut oil, soy milk, and vanilla extract.
5. Add this wet mix to the dry mix and stir until everything is combined.
6. Sprinkle in dates and choc chips (making sure they don't clump together) to form a sticky dough.
7. Take about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll it into balls lining them on a baking tray.
8. Press the balls down with a spatula to flatten them. You should have about 15 cookies.
9. Bake for 15 minutes at 160C. Keep an eye on them, you may need less/more time depending on oven.
10. Remove from oven and let them cool for 15 minutes.
11. Dig in and enjoy!