Raspberry & Zesty Lemon Muffins
For me, when it comes to my favorite desserts, muffins totally take the cake (no pun intended). In fact, one of my first jobs was working in a café called Muffin Break. This was pretty much my dream job at 14 because I got to spend all day chopping up muffins for the ‘taste testing’ plate and then sneak out the back to be the main taste tester. I worked there for almost a year and let’s just say that the cute frilly apron I wore became increasingly tighter with every shift. By the time I decided to quit I had officially grown a ‘muffin top’ at Muffin Break.
Unfortunately back then, health really wasn’t on my radar. I wasn’t aware of what I was putting in my body (lots of sugar, butter, chocolate and preservatives) and the taste of things far outweighed the health benefits.
Luckily these days, I have learnt you can have both. I can now literally have my cake an eat it too without jeopardizing my health. There are so many amazing and healthy substitutes to make your favorite desserts and this recipe is true testament! Small things like replacing vegetable oil with coconut oil, switching refined sugar for maple syrup and using gluten free flour instead of regular can really make a difference.
If you have any recipes you love, and would like me to try to make a healthier version of it let me know in the comments below!
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. himalayan sea salt
- 2 organic, free-range eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil - 1/2 cup B-Grade Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries
1. Prehead oven to 175 degrees fahrenheit (350 celsius)
2. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl
3. In another bowl mix eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla essence, lemon and zest.
4. Pour wet mixture into dry mixure and fold gently until well combined
5. Fold in raspberries gently
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins (use a skewer to test if it comes out clean)
7. Enjoy! Eating these warm about 15 mins out of the oven is best. Gluten free baked goods tend not to last more than a day or two.